Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Would it be legal to open and operate a food truck that

Customer Question

Would it be legal to open and operate a food truck that sells cannabis/marijuana infused food/edibles in California/Los Angeles area?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am aware of the guidelines available online. Can you please give me an interpretation of the material based on my intention/interest? Thank you.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, certainly.

It would not be legal to operate the food truck in this way. At this time, only dispensaries, cooperatives and collectives are allowed to distribute medical marijuana. Your food truck does not fall into any of the categories. So, if your food truck sells marijuana, you are in danger of being prosecuted for illegal distribution of drugs if you are caught.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My apologies on not being more specific from the start. If I were to first form a dispensary/cooperative/collective, could I then operate in a mobile selling capacity? If so, which one of those entities best suites my purposes?

There are very complex follow-up questions that I am not comfortable answering within the confines of this forum. I will refer to the PDF that I previously provided to you. See pages 8 through 11 on how to legally form a dispensary, cooperative, or collective in order to distribute medical marijuana. Here is the link to the PDF for your convenience:

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/press/pdfs/n1601_medicalmarijuanaguidelines.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Got it. To verify, I could operate legally as long as I am qualified as a dispensary/cooperative/collective? What makes the qualification, follow-up questions complex?

Got it. To verify, I could operate legally as long as I am qualified as a dispensary/cooperative/collective?

Response 1: That is correct.

What makes the qualification, follow-up questions complex?

Response 2: Your question would entail a review of organization documents along with an opinion as to which entity is better for you. This would be considered legal advice, which I am prohibited from giving by the terms of service and Rules of Professional Conduct. I would be in legal jeopardy of the charge of unauthorized practice of law since I am not licensed to practice in the state of California.