Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

THE US POSTAL SERVICE LOST MY TAX RETURN WHICH I SENT BY

Customer Question

THE US POSTAL SERVICE LOST MY TAX RETURN WHICH I SENT BY CERTIFIED MAIL. THE POST OFFICE IN KANSAS CITY AND IN MY HOME TOWN HAVE BEEN MOST UNHELPFUL. I KNOW THERE ARE ROGUES IN EVERY BUSINESS. I CANNOT MAKE A CLAIM BECAUSE I DID NOT PURSHASE INSURANCE WHEN I SENT THE LETTER. I AM FEARFUL THAT MY PERSONAL INFORMATION MAYBE IN THE WRONG HANDS. IS THE US POST OFFICE RESPONSIBLE IF MY IDENTITY IS STOLEN?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
STILL DID NOT GET A RESPONSE. IT's PAST 30 MINUTES. ARE YOU STILL THERE?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

The postal service will not be liable if someone takes your personal information. The postal service is only liable for the value of the contents not consequential damages and identity theft would be a consequential damage. Further, unless the item is insured you would not have a claim. I do not know how long ago this occurred but unless a long time has elapsed, there is a good chance it will get found because most people will not pick up or sign for a certified letter not addressed to them. For this reason it will probably be returned to you or properly delivered once the error is found.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

I sent you an answer several days ago and I have not had a response. If you have any more questions please let me know. If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question and providing you an answer.