Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

Can a residential contractor abandon a project because of

Customer Question

Can a residential contractor abandon a project because of breach of contract?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Ed. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you explain a bit more fully what the client has done? And, are you owed money for the work done to date? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has filed a complaint to the Office of Consumer Affairs and I have been fined $5,000, $2,000 of which for abandoning the project. Apparently the Office of Consumer Affairs finds it unacceptable to abandon a project for breach of contract
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up. What did the client do to cause you to abandon the project? Was there a hearing held by the Office of Consumer Affairs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Cardinal breach was when he changed the floor plans to include in addition without previously discussing these plants. The material breach when the workers were locked out causing delays in interfering with work progress. The fundamental breach was a bounced check and a refusal to replace such check. And yes there was a hearing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still connected?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for responding. I've just been called to a meeting and want you to be able to receive a timely response rather than having to wait. Given this, I am going to opt out so another expert can timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You charged me and did not answer the question. Please respond
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Have you considered a lawsuit against the person for breach of contract? Suing would then compensate you for your losses in connection to the breach of contract to offset any fines accessed. It appears that the Office of Consumer Affairs creates its policies and the fine is unfortunate but it seems that you cannot get around such fine.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thanks.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.