Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have a franchise question. In California I would like to

Customer Question

I have a franchise question. In California I would like to file for a DBA name and turn for example's sake lets say independent tax businesses that already exist and let them use my DBA name for branding. So all that accept will use my franchise name as their business name giving them legitimacy as a statewide business name with many locations. What are the legalities for doing this and how can I go about it.
Thanks
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In CA, you can register a Fictitious Business Name (DBA) to your corporation or LLC. Once you register that name, you can allow others to operate under that DBA. The DBA is only an alternate name for your corporation and all funds flow to the corporation and the corporation files the tax return not the individual DBA locations. So it is all one business and they are just using the DBA in public doing business. See: business.ca.gov/StartaBusiness/RegisteringaBusiness/FictitiousBusinessName.aspx