Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I work at petsmart and want to open my own grooming business

Customer Question

I work at petsmart and want to open my own grooming business since I only made less then 30,000 last year as the saloon manger. But the area I want to be in is about 2 miles away from my store. They have it as a 10 mile 6 months. I got my training with a different Company then 2 years went to work at petsmart as a groomer as well. I have 3 petsmarts with in 10 miles of my house!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

You have a couple of options here. Obviously the first option would be to look outside that radius, but if that is not feasible, you can often ask the company if you can pay a lump sum fee to get released from the noncompete agreement. Generally, noncompete agreements are enforceable and valid as long as they are reasonable. I believe a court would deem your 10 mile and 6 month time frame as very reasonable. You could simply wait the 6 months and do all the preliminary work of establishing the business entity, etc. in that 6 months.