CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I have a small handyman business and my employee is asking

Customer Question

I have a small handyman business and my employee is asking me to reimburse him for the use of the phone that he uses during work hours. We don't require our techs to use their phones but we do call and text them to communicate jobs. In the state of California, are we required to reimburse for cell charges even though the employee has unlimited minutes? If so what percentage?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

If you are calling your techs on their phones during their workday - they are using their phones to fulfill their duties as your employee, and they are entitled to reimbursement.

For a detailed discussion of employee reimbursement under CA law, see: http://www.rhdtlaw.com/want-pay/