Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Over 10 years ago I bought a motorcycle off ebay that was

Customer Question

Bennett. Over 10 years ago I bought a motorcycle off ebay that was salvage sale. I didn't intend at the time to restore it and never tried to register it because I was going to use it as a parts bike. Anyway I now want to restore it but have moved several times and no longer have the paperwork on it. how can I get a title for it in Louisiana
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what. Naturally I have the vin numbers ect. but how do I go about geting a title for the bike.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Business Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In LA, before you can title it, you have to fully restore it first and then you have to have it inspected and apply for a title. Here are the instructions for applying for the title once you have restored the bike: http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/Omv1.nsf/$print/886BB38B2FE4BCB6862564BA007262AD?OpenDocument
If you do not have any of the documentation that they request and cannot find the person who sold it to you to get the documentation, then you will have to file a suit in court to "quiet title" and send a notice to the last registered owner. Then the court would have to review the documents and issue an order that title can be issued to you as new owner of the rebuilt vehicle.