Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
7286322

Can a company sell to another company without giving the

Customer Question

can a company sell to another company without giving the employee notices or a letter of change. I had been working with this company for 10 years and now I don't have any insurance or benefits with this new owner who no pays me as a contractor.Is there anything I can do ???
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."

1) An employer owes no duty of notice to the employer about the sale of the company.

2) The new owner is still bound by any contracts with their employees. So if you have a contract that promises certain benefits, etc, then this is enforceable. The new owner simply "steps into the shoes" of the old owner and must honor the contract.

3) However, if no such contract exists, then the company can cut benefits (as the new owner may have done) and do not owe a duty to continue this. I am sorry. There is really not much to do about this, in such a case.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!