Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I graduated with my Masters and recently took an extra

Customer Question

I graduated with my Masters and recently took an extra course. I have documentation stating that course would be covered by financial aid. NCU's financial aid department didnt bill the US department of Ed on time and financial aid wont cover. The school is trying to make me pay even though they stated they didnt bill on time. Am I legally responsible? They are now trying to tell me to enroll in another CEU course so they can bill for both.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, even if the school made a mistake and did not get the bill out in time, if you received the class you are still obligated to pay for the course. If they are trying to get you to enroll in another class so they can back bill for the first class that is not proper either, since the back billing would be fraud, but you are still liable for paying for the class you received I am afraid. You would be the ultimate liable party and as such liable for paying the bill and to not hold you liable would be what the law would call "unjust enrichment" as you would receive benefit from the mistake of the other party.