Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
7286322

I would like to know how to get out of an LLC partnership

Customer Question

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If your partner agrees to you withdrawing, then this would be rather easy. A contract would be drafted that has the partner withdraw (also an additional document for any shares to be sold at the time), and signed by both parties. Then the state is updated with the new owner's information /positions and the matter is over.

If the partner does not agree and no contract allows one to withdraw, then there is no choice but to go to Court. One can request that the Court dissolve the partnership, either for cause or without. If so, the Court will do this, but the litigation to this may be costly, so it is best if the matter is done without the court, in a buyout. Perhaps a threat to the other party to sue out of the partnership may be best to get them to agree to a voluntary buyout instead of fighting this in court which would hurt the business and the pockets of the individuals.

By the way when I say "buyout," it does not necessarily mean that lots of money must be paid. A buyout may be for a $1. It all depends on what the parties agree.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!