Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I live in California and have been served with divorce

Customer Question

Customer: I live in California and have been served with divorce papers. Can I start an LLC at this point as my sole separate property? Would it be considered community property?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The business is bookkeeping out of my home, requires only a computer and there are no start up costs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Business Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure I'll wait a bit
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

I would suggest that you wait until the divorce is final before starting this as it would be considered an asset amd your income would be comsidered part of the marital estate.

Thank you for signing up for our service. If you need further assistance, let us know, otherwise, please "accept" the answer. If you are inclined, a positive rating is appreciated.