How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 750
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've had an outstanding judgement against an individual

Customer Question

I've had an outstanding judgement against an individual in Los Angeles, CA. court for the past 6 years, yet are unable to collect. I believe he has a job and is no longer independent. With interest, the balance is over 10K now. What steps can I take to attempt to collect? How long until the judgement from Los Angeles court needs to be renewed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This may seem like a stupid question, but have you tried garnishing the person's wages yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I garnish his wages? I was able to see where he works via LinkedIn, but its a big company (CBS Universal). I couldn't get a hold of anyone in HR. He also does not own any real estate. He rents. My husband thinks he is judgement proof. What good is it if you win in court and the person still won't pay?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Well that type of situation is very common and a lot of times people will declare bankruptcy to strip the judgment.

However, if he has a job, you can go back to court and seek an income withholding/garnishment order where the court will order that a certain portion of his income be paid directly to you before he even gets it. This would be done by his employer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I confirm his employment? Am I allowed to inform them that there is a judgement? Can I contact his bank to get account balance?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You can call his employer to inquire as to his employment.

You cannot contact his bank to get his account balance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I allowed to post that he has a judgement on his Linked In and Facebook pages, especially its a judgement from the L.A. Country Superior Court. Does it make it ok seeing its part of the public record? Am I allowed to call him. I read it would be harassment.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

No. You cannot post that he has a judgment to his social media and you should not call him as that would be considered harassment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have his social security number. Can I take judgement to banks to find out if he has accounts there? If not, what options do I have to get paid? My last attempt would be to hire a collections company, but I'll be lucky if I end up with a third of what he owes and would rather avoid that at this stage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Wondering if I will be getting a response to the question above? Please let me know.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

No. You cannot take the judgment to banks to find out if he has accounts there.

Your options are limited to the following. You can either hand the judgment over to a collections company or you can try to garnish his wages.