Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I was determined to be non compliant with californias EDD on

Customer Question

i was determined to be non compliant with californias EDD on my payroll taxes....i set up a payment plan and they placed a tax lien on my house and intercept ant federal tax refunds i my receive. my question is this if i refuse to pay the monthly payments (90% of which is penalties and interest) what is the extent of their enforcement ability. ie. can they put me in jail or raid my home and auction off the contents like IRS or franchise tax board? and what if i leave the state?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you refuse to pay they can refer the case to the prosecutor's office to pursue this as a criminal tax evasion case. They can also seize your income, they can seize taxes and for government debt they can seize social security and retirement benefits as well. If you leave the state they can file their claim against you in whatever state you go to and FTB is ruthless. We have cases where FTB go after people in other states and not only place liens, they seize bank accounts and garnish wages. They are not really an entity you want to fight with by not paying and trying to leave the state because they pursue pretty much everyone.