Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

Matt keeping unwanted house guests away from my house can I

Customer Question

Customer: matt keeping unwanted house guests away from my house can I file for a harassment restraining order?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my wife has a girlfriend that keeps coming to my house and getting drunk and will not leave I don't want her here, and my wife will not just tell her to go away
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Business Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Is wife inviting this person to come over to your house to visit?

.

Will wife back you up if you tell her to leave?

.

Are you the sole owner of the house or the sole person on the lease if you rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
State is Florida.Wife invites girl overI tell person to leave and wife does not make her leave. If she did this would be simple and I wouldn't be asking for legal solutionsWe both own this house
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then unfortunately, if you both own the house, then either of you can invite guests over to the house. One owner doesn't have the legal right to prevent the other owner from inviting someone else over because you and wife each have an "undivided ownership interest" in the property.

.

However, if this person is threatening you or physically assaults you, you can call the police and have her arrested and then file for a restraining order that would prevent her from being able to come on the property while you are there.

.

If she gets loud and is breaching the peace, then the police can also be called and she can be charged with disorderly conduct and arrested or made to leave...

.

But if she is coming over invited by wife and being obnoxious, but not violating the law, I hate to say it, but you couldn't legally force her to leave if wife wanted her there..

,

.

thanks