MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I wrote 2 checks on Saturday 12/19. The were both made out

Customer Question

I wrote 2 checks on Saturday 12/19. The were both made out to cash for a contractor.
I was supposed to get the checks back and cash them myself thos morning, Instead the contractor cashed them at a check cashing place. I tried to stop the checks the bank told me about 20 minutes ago the money is out of the account.
What other recourse do I have to try to stop the checks or recover the money?
Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do at this point is to sue the contractor in civil court.

Once the money leaves your account, there is no way to stop the checks or undo the transaction. If you want to recover the money, then you need to sue the contractor.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.