Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

In a nonprofit setting, if a member of an organization calls

Customer Question

In a nonprofit setting, if a member of an organization calls for a special meeting, can new members be gathered before that special meeting in order to change the outcome?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

It really depends on the bylaws of the nonprofit organization. If the by-laws allow new members to vote in special meetings then yes it is allowed. You need to simply read the bylaws and see what is allowable and what is not allowable.

Bylaws are your organization’s operating manual. They define:

(1) Size of the board and how it will function

(2) Roles and duties of directors and officers

(3) Rules and procedures for holding meetings, electing directors, and appointing officers

(4) Conflict of interest policies and procedures

(5) How grant monies will be distributed

(6) Other essential corporate governance matters

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Any chance for a positive rating?