CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I'm trying to get my buissnues license and my tax

Customer Question

Hello I'm trying to get my buissnues license for automotive and my tax license for California to bid on the car auctions and I believe alos the buyer registration form license I have a LLC for trucking and an EIN number already will any of these help?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Are you trying to get into a "dealers only" auction?

If that is the case, you are going to need a California Auto Dealer's License - these are issued by the DMV: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vehindustry/ol/dealer.

If you have a contact or associate that is already a dealer, you may be able to have them assist you in this (it is not uncommon for a dealership to sell or lease a single space on their lot to an individual or business so that the individual or business can apply for their dealer's license.

But as you can see on the above link, this is not exactly a simple application process and in addition to having an already established lot to allow you to use that for the "Place of Business Inspection", having someone that can help you work through the application process is incredibly helpful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://www.iaai.com/Documents/USLBRegForms.pdf
Here are the requirements that are needed not exactly a dealer I don't think

Contact the auction company directly - this is a private company, so they set their own entry requirements (it is not a statutory or legal requirement).

The tax benefit does require that you hold a CA dealer's license, but the auction company will let you know whether or not it is required to participate.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok but my questions is ok how to obtain my buissnues licenses automobile related expand le if I want to be a repair shop

Dear Customer,

Do you want to open an automotive repair business? (This is regulated by the BAR and also involves significant licensing requirements - https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/index.html).

But if you only want to participate in this particular activity - auctions conducted by this business - I would recommend calling them first, see if they will admit you with your trucking license. Do this before going to the significant time, expense, and effort involved in getting a business license that you will have to maintain.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I just need to know how to apply for a California business license,business tax certificate and sellers permit

Dear Customer,

I would recommend that you start here: http://business.ca.gov/StartaBusiness.aspx (The California Office of Business and Economic Development) as this will give you a flow chart to walk you through what starting a business entails and links to helpful resources.

I think you may need to do some additional research into what you are planning on doing, as well as consider speaking with a local attorney, but the above link will give you a good start (and valuable resources).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is not what I need I have a current buissnues at I got remember I have got my ficitious buissnues name at the county clerk then got listed in the newspaper then got my EIN and my LLC papers throw legal zoom but this was for trucking and I want to know if for automotive will be the same

Dear Customer,

The classification you are asking for is based on what the auction company is classifying as "automotive" - you really need to contact them and ask what they deem to be an automotive business, and whether or not your trucking license counts.

(There is no general "automotive" license - the auction company is referring to an industry which includes car dealers, etc.).