Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

Judge may force ownership of community property business

Customer Question

Judge may force ownership of community property business from my ex husband to myself as part of divorce. He owes huge arrears. I subpoena'd bank records and it's shocking. He's spending about 35,000/month on entertainment, personal, cash, trips (he has
major substance abuse problems). It's a local janitorial business and does not entertain clients. He added his mom as a shareholder (he's the only other shareholder) recently and is sending her thousands each month. He is transferring funds to other banks.
The Judge said he'd give me the business if husband didn't put it up for sale with broker. I'm receiving NONE of the $7500 support ordered. Can't afford attorney, so am doing this myself. I KNOW if told to give me the business my ex will empty accounts and
try and ruin the business in some way. He has been consumed with vindictiveness since losing visitation due to major substance abuse issues. How can I stop him harming the business while I take it over work with broker to sell it and run it. I'll need the
right to all accounts, records, etc. (Judge ordered him to provide all records but he won't).
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps reaching out to a local family law attorney and explaining the ex-husband has assets the attorney may represent you without requiring you to pay any monies upfront. The ex-husband is violating court orders but an attorney would be necessary to really effectuate compliance with the court's orders. What city in California are you located?

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. I'm in California. I sent Meet and Confer. Will Motion to Compel next week. Sent subpoena's (which is how I got the bank records). We will be in court again next week on another issue, but if Judge asks me if I want to take the business (which he did last time but I said no until I got the records to see its debts and liabilities), I am prepared to say yes. I need to be prepared with requests to keep the business safe though the transfer of ownership. Husband will need to be removed immediately and money stopped being used from anything other than business expenses. I'll need the right to the accounts, banks, etc.

Request the judge sign a proposed order stating the things you are asking and have rights to the accounts te....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm unable to read your entire reply. For some reason it was cut off at this point "Request the judge sign a proposed order stating the things you are asking and have rights to the accounts te...." I'm not sure what te is?

Sorry that was a typo. The proposed order will simply cite rights that you may have to the accounts of the business.