Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am a driver. Uber tells me not to worry about getting a

Customer Question

I am a driver for Uber. Uber tells me not to worry about getting a ticket for operating without a Corpus Christi, Texas city permit, they say they have this covered.
How does Uber operate without a city permit or make their drivers have a license to carry people for hire?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They are arguing they are not a cab service and you are simply sharing rides with people. When their people get ticketed for not having a permit, they take the cases to court. But they really do not "cover" it other than pursue the case in court and if their driver is found guilty, they have a history of making the driver pay and then agreeing to reimburse them.
However, it is not legal to operate without the permits, and most drivers in other cities where they operate are getting the permits on their own despite what Uber tells them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is exactly what I was afraid of. How would I go about getting a permit to operate on my own. If I have to get my own permit I am not sure I want to drive for Uber. They don't pay much, and the driver is responsible for all gasoline, oil, repairs and anything else that goes wrong.Thanks
Thank you for your reply.
You would have to apply for the business license at https://www.businesslicenses.com/Licenses/TX/San+Patricio/Corpus-Christi-4840917000/Taxi-Limo-Vehicle-For-Hire-489180/
It really is not hard to do.