Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

How does a partner in a limited partnership sell s share to

Customer Question

How does a partner in a limited partnership sell his share to the other limited partners? If one partner owes a debt to the other partners in excess of the value of their share can the partnership force that partner to give up his/her share ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

A partnership interest is transferred by a document called an Assignment of Interest whereby one partner assigns, transfers and conveys his ownership to the buyer/assignee of the interest. On your second question, it depends upon the terms of the partnership agreement...if the partnership agreement provides for a forfeiture of an interest in the event of a partner default, then you could force the forfeiture of the interest. Otherwise, you would need to file suit against the partner who owes the money, get a judgment against him, file a judgment lien against the partnership interest, and then take the interest to collect the judgment lien.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!