Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I purchased a vehicle from a local dealership. I got pulled

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased a vehicle from a local dealership.
I got pulled over by the police and the police impounded my vehicle because the car was not registered in my name yet (30 days after car bought) and actually it was still in the persons name which whom sold it to the dealership...
I just found out that some company got my car out of impound and now I cant locate the company or the dealership.. what do I do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sorry...I am not sure I understand your question.

What company took your car out?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
a company named "after hours recovery repo" (that's all the information the police could give me)

Thanks
To verify, the rig is not registered or titled in your name?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
its in my boyfriends name which he is right here with me .. sir I don't have another $52
but I can explain everything.. if I do pay for the advice do you help me win the case?>]

You say

it was still in the persons name which whom sold it to the dealership

Was this your boyfriend?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no....
the dealership signed over documents to us.. Oswaldo and I (Michelle).. exception The owner of the dealership said that because my credit score was bad that we shouldn't put my name on the contract. (so I have a separate contract between my boyfriend and I (just a written agreement I had him write, noting that I would be making half of the payments, etc.) just a personal written agreement.
THe dealership asked us to come back within three weeks to get the smog done.. I went to his shop within five days. he was very hard to get ahold of ... anyways..
police pulled me over, pulled off my dealer plates and underneath where plates (unregistered) from previous owner prior to dealer to a guy named pedro..
Expert:  Maverick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

1. How much did you pay for the car?

2. Did you pay the dealer a down payment and borrow the rest? Or, was it a cash purchase?

3. Can you upload the sales contract that you signed at the dealership?

4. Did the dealer tell you he owned the vehicle or had clear title?

5. What has the dealer said to you about this now?