Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience corps, LLC's and partnerships; preparation, negotiation of complex contracts and business agreements
20355756

If the nonprofit organization by-laws state that dues must

Customer Question

if the nonprofit organization by-laws state that dues must be paid by December 31, can the board vote to extend (as a grace period) that deadline for payment of dues?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

The board has the authority to amend the by-laws and change the date for the payment of dues if it so chooses to do so. However, the changes should be made across the board/non-profit and affect everyone involved because if you start singling out certain people or groups of people for extensions and do not permit a general extension, then the Board might get accused of favoritism or discrimination towards others whose due payment date was not extended. Such an amendment should be in writing and signed by all board members who are in agreement with the extension, (procedures for voting should be in the by laws and should be followed to get everyone with a vote to permit the extension of the payments).

-

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this correspondence box so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star from the right in the ratings section before leaving the website. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

-