Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

Can I sell an interest in a DBA Company....I own a

Customer Question

Can I sell an interest in a DBA Company....I own a maintenance company that has a DBA,I do business under both the name of my company and the DBA,I have someone that wants to purchase an interest in just the DBA..is this possible? I don't want to sell any part of the maintenance company....
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

The DBA is part of the company, just operating under another name under the umbrella of your company. The DBA is not a separate entity; rather, it is simply a separate division under the same company as your company. So, you would not be able to sell an interest in the company without the buyer buying an interest in all the businesses operating under your one company. What you would need to do is to form a new company and transfer the DBA business to that new company. Then, you could transfer an interest in this new company to your prospective buyer without impacting your original company.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!