Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I'm an aspiring comic book writer. I'm using the exact names

Customer Question

I'm an aspiring comic book writer. I'm using the exact names and looks of somewhat famous people. I want to know the legality of this, I'm not saying anything bad at all about them.
Also I am considering using the name and looks of one person, yet changing it slightly (Real name is***** call him CJ Dillashank) as to him i will be making fun of a little.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When writing a novel or comic book or essay or anything else, a person's name is ***** ***** or copyrighted. So you can use a name in your writing without worry of any violations. You are also protected under fair use for satire and parody (think back to the wacky packages cards where they made fun of trademarked product names) and that is protected and permissible.