P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

About 3 years ago I signed a lease with Rouse properties

Customer Question

About 3 years ago I signed a lease with Rouse properties for Las Vegas location. A year later the mall was bought by another a company. I did not received a new contract from the new company owning the mall. Since two weeks ago my landlord (new owner)
is in breach of contract, cutting out 2 walls from my back room and square footage from my location without my permission or advance notice. Who is in breach of contact- Rouse (original lease signer) or the new landlord?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

It is the new landlord. The lease you describe is an interest in real property. When the mall sold, the lease sold with the land. So the new owner is obliged to honor the terms of the lease (just like you, the tenant, are obliged to pay rent as required by the lease)

If the new owner is not complying with the lease terms? And the lease is still in effect? YOu can sue them for breach of contract.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.