Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I would like to start a business (like marketing) how to

Customer Question

Hi, If I would like to start a business (like marketing) how to start with, do we have to register the company?, if so how to do that? what is the process ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, the first step is to incorporate your business in order to avoid personal liability/exposing your personal assets. To do that, you would file a formation document with your state's secretary of state.....this can usually be done online. Next, you would obtain a federal tax ID number/EIN number as well as a state tax ID number.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You would then develop an operating agreement to outline the way the business will run, who the officers are, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That's really the process to get you to the point of being set up to conduct business, opening a bank account, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please let me know what is "formation document"
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It's the document you fie with your state's Secretary of State to register the company. Some states call it a certificate of formation and some call it a article of formation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do we have a link for it?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You can go to your state's secretary of state website and see what forms are available online....but the formation documents should be there.