Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

If a private club closes, and has an inventory of opened and

Customer Question

If a private club closes, and has an inventory of opened and unopened liquor, can they sell this product to another club at a discounted price. If not, how can the inventory be liquidated ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Long ago, I was a prosecutor for a state Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) and this question would occasionally come up when a business shut down. The licensee can't sell the alcohol to the public unless they have a package liquor license. So if the distributor won't accept the inventory back and issue a refund, then the licensee would normally work out a buy out with another licensee and they would have to contact the ABC to have them oversee the transaction so that it wasn't considered an illegal wholesale sale.

.

Each state is different, but generally follow the same procedure so I would suggest you contact your state ABC office and talk to the legal dept as they can help facilitate the sale.

.

.

thanks