Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Can a credit card company seize a conjoined bank account in

Customer Question

Can a credit card company seize a conjoined bank account in Texas?
My husband incurred debt before we were married. He is now retired
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, yes, they can. Because money in a joint bank account can be withdrawn by any account signer, any money in the account is legally deemed to be the property of BOTH people named on the account. That means a creditor of any account signer has the ability to put a lien on the account, regardless of who made the deposits.

With that said, Texas law does not allow a creditor to garnish a debtor's wages, even with a judgement. So you have the ability to petition the court that entered the judgment to release any portion of the monies taken that represent your current wages. You should receive paperwork in the mail that tells you how to do that (with notice of the lien), or any local attorney may be able to help. That's a request made through the court, not the bank.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.