Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

If I made an offer verbally purchase of a business and it

Customer Question

If I made an offer verbally for the purchase of a business and it was verbally accepted by the seller, can I back out of the purchase without being sued?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you can back out of the agreement without concern. In order to have a binding and enforceable agreement, there must be a "meeting of the minds" and a full "accord and satisfaction" of all the terms of the agreement. An agreement to buy a business involves so much more than agreeing on a price. There must be an agreement regarding due diligence of the business, closing date, closing cost allocations, representations and warranties, included and excluded assets, structure as a purchase of the entity or the assets, etc., etc. There is simply none of that in a verbal agreement and therefore there was never a binding and enforceable contract.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!