Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have a PPA law question.

Customer Question

I have a HIPPA law question.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What was the purpose of discussing the patients, was it part of the necessity for treatment or billing? What was discussed about the patients, personal health information?

I do not know why you cannot reply, try again.
I am seeing it says you are trying to reply, but I am not seeing a reply. Please contact customer service and see if they can assist you in replying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer service sent you my reply. It's possible you didn't receive it. The text message between two employees was first name and last name only and it was for billing & scheduling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I should ask them to delete the messages. I don't know what I need to do.
Thank you for your reply. I did not get your replies until the above two.
If the sharing of the information was for a legitimate business purpose of billing and scheduling, then this falls into the HIPAA exception. However, because their phones are not "secured" in accordance with HIPAA standards, they need to erase the messages once received and the matter has been handled. There is no violation for them to ask the questions of each other for medical purposes, especially since no personal health information was shared, but they need to remove them from their phones because if their phones are not HIPAA compliant, them leaving them on the phones would be the violation that each of them could be sanctioned for.