LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

Dog lawyer? I'm in and can I be sued if I sold a dog w/out a

Customer Question

Dog lawyer? I'm in Virginia and can I be sued if I sold a dog w/out a contract?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to help you with your question today.

Unfortunately you a written contract is needed for a person to assert a claim against you in court. Many times people will sue based upon a breach of an oral contract. They will claim that you made oral statements regarding transaction that turned out to be false.

I always recommend that people reduce agreements to writing so they can define the terms and limit liabilty if things go wrong.

Please let me know if you need any additional information or insight.

I thought I would follow up and see if you needed any addtional assistance. If you have not done so, please take the the time to rate my answer.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

Magistrate court in essentially a small claims court or an informal court that handles money claims of less than $15,000. This court offers a quick and inexpensive process to resolve complaints. The costs associtated with such cases are nominal. Usually the initial filing fee covers all costs associated with an action. Additional costs can be incurred when subpeonaes are issued or counterclaims filed. Nothing you have written indicates that this has occurred. Also i would not anticipate the court awarding attorneys fees. An award of attorneys for filing such a claim is extremely rare.
​I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.