Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
7286322

I am an RN. Is it legal nurse and a physician to own a

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** am an RN. Is it legal for a nurse and a physician to own a psychiatric practice in NJ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes, but with restrictions. This falls under the Corporate Practice of Medicine Doctrine (CPOM Doctrine). Every state has a different version thereof, and some states do not employ it. NJ does employ CPOM, and in NJ, it is allowed that a nurse and a physician own a medical practice (including a psychiatric practice), but the physician has to have a greater interest ownership in the practice. For a full explanation, see HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.