Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I did not sign a contract to continue with the university. I

Customer Question

I did not sign a contract to continue with the university. I sent a formal demand letter requesting unpaid funds that had been promised in written and verbal agreements and not honored. The university responded with a portion of the payment I had requested.
ON the back of the check, just above the signature line, it is hand written: Paid in Full - All Obligations. The check is a payroll check with taxes deducted. If I endorse this check, am I thereby agreeing that the funds owed are paid in full? May I cash this
check and send another demand letter thanking them for the $xx.xx payment toward the total amount they owe me? Also, if I do not accept the sum they have offered as final payment, and refuse to cash the payroll they have sent, can I still responsible for the
taxes paid on my behalf without my agreement? Is this even legal? Thank you!!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you sign this check you are acknowledging that you have been paid everything they owe you. So if you believe they owe you more money, then do not sign the check and you need to file a complaint with the GA Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division or the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division and have them investigate and pursue the employer.
If they sent you the check, they can add that to your W-2 for taxes. This is why if you disagree with the amount you were paid, you need to pursue your wage claim in the department of labor or suing them in court to get the full amount due.