Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I seem to be in an area where charter has a monopoly on

Customer Question

I seem to be in an area where charter has a monopoly on providing internet services????
I would like to know if I can dispute their price rise orif I can some how swap providers. how and to whom would I complain ??
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Who is charter, a cable company? Have you checked to see if internet service is available through your telephone network?

what city are you located in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As we are on a very limited budget we do not have a land line or cable tv ( over the air only ) so charter only provides internet connection. It seems they have the monopoly where we live which is a mobile home park. ?? In topanga canyon California.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything else you need to know ??

There are satellite services that offer internet services but I could not tell you if they are less expensive than what Charter offers. Hughes offers such services. Here is a link to their website. http://internet.hughesnet.com/ You also do a google search for other satellite companies.

Charter would not be considered a monopoly because they compete with internet service available through land lines and cable tv. You might also check with your wireless phone service. Cell phones offer internet access through the wireless telephone network. I hope this was of assistance.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Ritchard I don't think you understand, Charter also provides all cable, tv. phones and it seems whenever anyone around here tries to get anyu other company the response is always we do not supply to your area, please try........and then we are re-routed to the Charter. It is the sae story from all my neighbors !!!!!! What do you suggest ????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would appear that Charter has a land base internet provider monopoly , is that legal ??

You are correct I did not understand that they provided everything. You should try to contact the satellite companies because they do not need any existing connection to provide their service. If Charter is the only source of telephone service then I suggest you complain to the CA Public Utilities Commission. They may be able to help you or inform you of an alternative for some of the services. Here is a link to their site. http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/telco/

I do not know anything else I could offer.