CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I'm a company truck driver but the I was working taking

Customer Question

I'm a company truck driver but the I was working for was taking escrow out of my check like I was a owner operator. What can I do?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Start by working with your company's Human Resources Department to see if you can resolve the dispute informally/internally. (I recommend following up phone conversations or in person communications with "confirmation letters" - see my note below - to help build a record and to avoid confusion later).

If this does not work, contact a local labor law attorney as you will have a "wage and hour" claim and would be entitled to compensation.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have quit the company and the company kepted 1500 dollar from my last pay check

You can still try resolving it via letter (at least give it one shot) - you don't have to, but you can.

But given that you are no longer working for the company it may be easier to simply retain an attorney.

Alternatively, you can file a wage and hour claim with the department of labor here: http://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/howtofilecomplaint.htm (The DOL can investigate the matter for you and potentially pursue penalties against your former employer, but they will not be as engaged as your own attorney would be).