Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I had a credit card with Target. I entered into a debt

Customer Question

I had a credit card with Target. I entered into a debt consolidation company to become free of credit card debt. Target was unwilling to participate, and therfore my account was closed for non payment and now there is a judgemnt against me, we paid a monthly amount for several months and then they stopped deductiong this from our checkig account - we thought this was paid in full. until saturday, when the state leveid over $1,000 from our account, only to learn we still owe over $2,000 on this judgemnt. my biggest concern is that this dollar amount is three times the credit extended to me (my cc limit was 600). is there anything I can do now to reduce or renegotiate this judgement in court? we did not attend the orginal court date as we never received a notice to appear
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this.. Unfortunately if they have sued and gotten a judgment, then about the only thing that the creditor may consider is a lump sum settlement where you pay off the entire amount so that they don't have to continue to pursue small garnishments until paid. Once they got a judgment, they are allowed to add in any attorney fees, late charges and court costs as well as statutory interest on the judgment until paid, so a small debt can easily balloon into a much larger one if it is not settled prior to court.

.

But once the judgment is entered, if it is not appealed, it becomes final after 30 days and can't be challenged.

.

Your only other recourse to delay them seizing any more money would be to open up a new bank account that they are not aware of and start depositing your money into it. A garnishment is bank account specific so if they don't know your new account number, then they can't garnish it. They could eventually find it out by going back to court for a hearing where they force you to disclose any bank accounts though.

.

You could also consider bankruptcy, but that seems a bit extreme for a debt this small and would likely cost you upwards of $1,000 or more to file it..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks