We are licensed California landscape contractors. We need some advice. Here is a brief rundown of the situation. 1. We performed a sizable contractual job for a client this summer and stopped work in August while waiting for another trade contractor to
complete some work on the property.We were to return to complete our work when that contractor had finished his. 2. We billed the client for expenses to date and received a response from him saying he had hired another "firm" to come in and repair/replace
our work because it was faulty - to the tune of $10K - but refused to offer proof of any kind. He said the property is owned by his LLC
, a real estate holding company
and, as such, does not need a contractor's license to hire subs - he can act as the general
contractor. 3. He gave us the ultimatum of either accepting that reduction to our invoice or we would have to give him a detailed accounting of what each individual task we performed cost along with a map showing the exact location of every item installed.
THEN he would decide how much of it he wanted to pay for and decide what it was worth to him. 4. We consulted with our attorney who advised us to "take the money and run" because it would likely be a long, protracted and costly litigation. Did I mention that
the client is an attorney? 5. We then learned that the "contractor" he hired to do the repairs was unlicensed and has a history of performing large jobs well above his "pay grade". We tracked him down and confirmed that he, indeed, had performed modifications
at our client's residence and charged him upwards of $10K. He also refused to give us a copy of his invoice because he's afraid we will turn him in. We are certain that much of the work he performed had nothing to do with repairing our work. 6. Now, it appears
the client is going to sue the unlicensed contractor to retrieve his $10k. If this wasn't so slimy, it would almost be clever. Our question is this...should we take the money and run? Do we have any case against this guy? Should we accept his offer and then
turn both of them in to the CSLB? I know there are gaps here, so please ask for clarification. Thanks.