Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am trying to figure out how to domesticate a California

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out how to domesticate a California small claims judgment to Nevada. I would like to keep it in the Nevada small claims jurisdiction but am only finding information regarding Civil court.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

NV small claims court is a court of limited jurisdiction. They do not have jurisdiction to domesticate foreign judgments. You have to file a petition to domesticate foreign judgment in the civil court and attach a true copy of the CA court judgment and ask the civil court to domesticate. The small claims court in NV does not have the legal power to grant this, only the civil court does.