Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I believe I'm being over charge unfairly restoration project

Customer Question

I believe I'm being over charge unfairly for a restoration project on my classic mustang. A 12 week project that has gone 17 weeks so for and now I'm told it is 3300 over the estimated amount. Some of these charges are clearly on the estimate and scope of there work. Some of these charges were not authorized by me.
I feel as my vehicle has been a learning experience for there shop, at my expense. I don't know where to turn or who to talk to.
Micheal Cracchiolo ***@******.***
St. Louis Mo
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works.

By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms…

I am looking at your question now....

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Michael:

Are you able to upload a copy of the contract you signed for us to review?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will forward what I have while I am at work or shortly there after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What email address do I use
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

You would upload that here. You may have to ask JA customer support on how to do that from your end of the portal as we do not have access to that side; but I know it can be done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will take care of it some point today or this evening thank you for your response
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Sure...will wait to hear from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the files that I have there never was literally a signed contract but they were only to do what is in the estimate or I agreed to this 12 week project has been 17 weeks in the making and now $3300 over cost which if you look at the extra cost supposed to do you estimate you will see the verbiage that shows that A lot of the cost was already estimated
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Michael:

There is not enough information here for us to really understand what is going on. The first thing to do is to go there in person and have him explain in detail what they did to the car and how much each section of work cost in labor and parts to add up to $10,735.00. Then, ask them why they performed the additional work without running it by you first. He may respond that it was not additional work but that it is cost overage on the $10,735.00. If so, that should be apparent from the detailed break down for his estimate as of 6/15 and his invoice as of 10/9.

You may want to locate a classic car restoration expert in your area and pay him a fee for an hour or two to accompany you there so that he can understand the lingo and translate for you if the numbers that Doug Jenkens throws out make any sense. See here. If push comes to shove, you will need such an expert to testify on your case if you decide to go to court; so it is best to get one on board now.

If you suspect dishonesty or unfair trade practices, then you can sue in small claims court for any overages or unauthorized charges. See here.

You can also file or threaten to file a complaint with the AG's office. See here.

In Missouri, state consumer laws prohibit unfair and deceptive practices in auto repair. Mechanics who mislead, deceive, or make misrepresentations to consumers may be subject to penalties under the Merchandising Practices Act found in Chapter 407 of the Missouri Revised Statutes. Attorney's fees are also recoverable so this should provide you leverage to get this resolved quickly. See law here. If you file suit under this statute you should hire a lawyer and it will most likely need to be filed in Circuit Court.

If you choose to sue in small claims court, you can sue for fraud, misrepresentation, negligence and /or breach of contract depending on what you find out.