P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

I'm a contractor. a client red me and is now not paying.

Customer Question

I'm a contractor. a client hired me and is now not paying. They personally own the commercial property which I did the improvement to. They also own the company which operates in the commercial building they own. The company is a corporation. Does the company being a corporation prevent me from filing a mechanics lien on the property? This is in Colorado.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

The CO mechanics lien statute is based on the legal principal of "unjust enrichment". The idea is that if work is performed on real property, and that work increases the value of that property? The mechanic (the person who performed the work) can recover from the property owner.

Here, if you performed work on the property and have not been paid, you can file the lien against the property, regardless of who owns the property.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.