Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I was looking information on purchasing a bar lounge and

Customer Question

I was looking for some information on purchasing a bar lounge and getting the liquor license assigned in NYC.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What type of information are you looking for? Do you want to know how you go about dong the assignment? Are you obtaining the license in connection with buying a business or business location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be obtaining the license with purchasing of an existing business. I would like to know what would be involved and the requirements.

Technically, when you buy the business you have to go through the entire appliction process for a liquor license. However, if the business has been in operation for more than 30 days while your application is pending you can obtain a temporary license which will allow you to sell alcohol while your application is being processed. Procedurally, before you make your application to the Liquor Board you must first give notice to the local Community Board that governs the location in which the business is located. For the transfer of an existing business with a license their approval is not a condition of getting the license but the Liquor Board does take their concerns into account, so you would like to get their approval. You must the community board notice of your intent to obtain the license and business at least 30 days before you apply. It is also recommended that you retain an experienced attorney who deals with liquor license issues in NYC. One advantage is that such attorneys have the power to self certify the application which will speed the overall process. Attached is a descriiption of the process. https://www.sla.ny.gov/system/files/CB_Q-n-A.pdf

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If my answer was particularly helpful you can pay a bonus.