Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

We are a small law firm. We have a vendor that we do

Customer Question

We are a small law firm. We have a vendor that we do business with that was bought out by another company. The company was Dataquick and the new company is Corelogic. Corelogic billed our law firm for the same invoice that had already been received and paid to Dataquick. We ended up with a credit balance on the Dataquick account, and a balance owing on the Corelogic account. Despite numerous emails and phone calls to straighten out the situation, Corelogic sent our firm to a debt collector. Doesn't the law require for a vendor to refund the client for a credit balance, or at the very least, apply it to the new account. Corelogic states we still owe the $300, despite the credit balance on the Corelogic account.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

You do not owed CoreLogic any monies. Submit documentation so CoreLogic and the debt collector that the invoice at issue was paid in full. Even request a credit if you are owed such a credit. feel free to reference the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act if CoreLogic and the debt collector insist that you owe such a debt that they cannot prove is owed. Also, if the report any debt to a credit bureau as being late, feel free to warn them on the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Sometimes debt collectors see what they can do to intimate a business or an individual to pay money, but under these circumstances, to due so would be illegal exposing at least the debt collector to liability.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My research indicated that the FDCPA doesn't apply to the collection of a debt for a corporation. Is this incorrect?

Yes, you are correct. An unlawful business practices claim would be more appropriate to reference under the Bus. and Profs. Code 17200 et seq. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=17001-18000&file=17200-17210

Either way, you are not required to pay such a debt that you do not owe.