Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I own a window and door company. My company signed a

Customer Question

I own a window and door company. My company signed a contract with a customer approximately 30 days ago. The total of the job is $13,000 and she put $1000 down. She has been verbally abusive to my employees. She has made it abundantly clear that she will not pay unless her job is done perfectly to her satisfaction. At this point, I would rather just give her her thousand dollars back and cancel the job. I am going to be at a loss on this job as I have already paid for the job to be measured and permitted. That does not matter to me because in the long run I have a feeling I will end up losing way more. What is the correct way to go about canceling the contract with the customer?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

In my experience, the best thing to do is to send you a letter, by certified mail, terminating the contract and returning her deposit. In that letter you want to set out that her treatment of your employees is not acceptable to you and that the best solution is to terminate the contract, return her money, and let her work with someone with whom she's going to be more compatible. It's best to quickly and firmly cut the cord rather than let this linger any further. She may try to intimidate you given your description of her, but she really has no cause of action because she has no damages. And, her actions with your employees give you the right to terminate.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!