Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Our previous HOA treasurer refuses to turn over 12 years

Customer Question

Our previous HOA treasurer refuses to turn over 12 years worth of records. What is our legal right and or course of action to obtain these records?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the HOA will not turn over the records, your only real option is to file a lawsuit against the HOA for an accounting and seek a court order from the judge directing the HOA to turn the records over. As long as you want the documentation for a legitimate reason, it should be something the court would make the HOA do.

The only restriction you may have is that HOA may not have records going back that far. Many entities only retain records for 5-7 years, so older records may not be available.