Havenlawyer
Havenlawyer,
61534878

I have a question about kickbacks. I run a sourcing company.

Customer Question

Hi I have a question about kickbacks. I run a sourcing company. A project manager of a large design firm came to my office and was interested in our services. He suggested that he will send me item lists of projects they are working on for quotations from me. Their firm have their own sourcing department (that does an ok job but don't really try hard to look for the lowest prices)
So the idea is that if I can beat their sourcing dept price by 30% then I will include a 5% fee in my quotation for his introduction. He will invoice me a "referral fee" from his private company. I didn't ask but I'm assuming his company won't know about it. So my question is, is this illegal?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question continues... He is also very well connected, for deals that does not concern his company ie other companies that he is not an employee of. If he invoices me with his private company for referral fee is that ok?
Expert:  Havenlawyer replied 1 year ago.

Where are you based. You have been referred to the Australian Law section, although you list your location as Hong Kong?

Patrick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm based in nyc..