Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

Our non-profit Board would like to call election of an

Customer Question

Our non-profit Board would like to call for the election of an officer to be rescinded, but have no mention of this in the organization's constitution & by-laws. Robert's Rules mention a 2/3 vote, but not the process of calling for the vote. Does the person we wish to recall have the right to make a statement? Can you help us with this?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

1. I am looking into this for you and will be back shortly....

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

A board of directors usually may "fire" or remove an officer legally by taking their office away through a majority vote of the board. (i.e the same vote % that was used to put the officer in position) because officers generally are chosen by and serve at the will of the board.

Some bylaws may require "just cause" to unseat officers. Others simply allow the board complete discretion. If your bylaws say nothing then complete discretion would be the default. Also, this can be done by a special meeting of the board.

Special meetings of the board shall be held upon four days' notice by first-class mail or 48 hours' notice delivered personally or by telephone, including a voice messaging system or by electronic transmission by the corporation (Section 20). The articles or bylaws may not dispense with notice of a special meeting. A notice, or waiver of notice, need not specify the purpose of any regular or special meeting of the board.

See law here.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not answered my question. We have already had the Special Board meeting, & the Board voted to take the vote to rescind to the members, as required by Roberts Rules (our constitution & by-laws say if it's not there, we defer to Roberts Rules). The question is if the officer in question is permitted to rebut the information presented by the Board as the reason to request the vote to rescind.Catherine
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Catherine. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for allowing me to clarify....

1. When you say that the board voted to take the vote to rescind to the members, do you mean to the shareholders of the non-profit?

2. The RRO are rules for conducting meetings and are based on the rights of the:

• of the majority,
  • of the minority, especially a strong minority - greater than one third,
  • of individual members,
  • of absentees, and
  • of all these together.

If the officer in question is not a member / shareholder of the non-profit, then he/she would not qualify to participate in the debate/meeting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re: 1. When you say that the board voted to take the vote to rescind to the members, do you mean to the shareholders of the non-profit?
We do not have share holders, just members - it is a professional organization that hosts professional development conferences for the members.Yes, the officer is an active member, so I guess the officer will have the right to present a case to the members?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the officer is an active member, so I guess the officer will have the right to present a case to the members?

1. Yes, you are correct because membership is a premise upon which the RRO are based.