Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband, a US citizen has not filed s tax in the last

Customer Question

Hello!
My husband, a US citizen has not filed his tax in the last three years. I am currently applying for adjustment of status and his tax return information/transcript is required in for I-864. PLEASE what do i do? i am not able to get a sponsor other than my husband at this time. I have his W-2 from 2012 - 2014 although hid previous job does not meet the 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines however his current job does but not until next year before he is able to file for this year's annual income/tax return.
WHAT DO I DO? Should i submit my application with his W-2, current employment letter and his recent cheque stub? Do i leave a comment in the form stating my reason?
Thanks in advance for your prompt response.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your husband needs to file all income tax returns as required. Even if his income from those years does not meet the poverty guidelines, he must file the tax returns and then once filed you can submit copies of the tax returns plus his current pay stubs to show that his current income does meet the poverty guidelines. For the record, only a copy of his most recent tax return is required.

If he does not know how to file the previous years’ returns, he can use a tax preparer to file the returns. You can use the link below to find tax preparers:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tax%20preparers