How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 18091
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband, a US citizen has not filed s tax in the last

Customer Question

My husband, a US citizen has not filed his tax in the last three years. I am currently applying for adjustment of status and his tax return information/transcript is required in for I-864. PLEASE what do i do? i am not able to get a sponsor other than my husband at this time. I have his W-2 from 2012 - 2014 although hid previous job does not meet the 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines however his current job does but not until next year before he is able to file for this year's annual income/tax return.
WHAT DO I DO? Should i submit my application with his W-2, current employment letter and his recent cheque stub? Do i leave a comment in the form stating my reason?
Thanks in advance for your prompt response.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your husband needs to file all income tax returns as required. Even if his income from those years does not meet the poverty guidelines, he must file the tax returns and then once filed you can submit copies of the tax returns plus his current pay stubs to show that his current income does meet the poverty guidelines. For the record, only a copy of his most recent tax return is required.

If he does not know how to file the previous years’ returns, he can use a tax preparer to file the returns. You can use the link below to find tax preparers: