Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

K., My uncle wants to invest in the USA but wants to get

Customer Question

For Dimitry K., My uncle wants to invest in the USA but wants to get more information on how to proceed. He owns a yoghurt factory outside of the US. Although he does not want to establish a yoghurt factory here, but he want to know what kind of businesses
he can start or invest in. - If he wants to buy a franchise, how does he start? - what is the cost of registering a business in Texas?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.

Hello: Are you still looking to discuss the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is he looking to be active in the business; or a passive investor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He intends to get an L1A visa which requires him to do a business in USA. So I guess he has to invest in a business that creates employment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please is it possible for us to conclude this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I do not yet have a comprehensive answer to my question after more than 24hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Am still waiting for an answer
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My apologies on the delay. I was offline due to a trip. Do you still require assistance at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still require the assistance.

What type of a franchise is he seeking to invest into, or purchase? The cost of franchises is set by each specific company. Setting up a corporation in Texas, specifically incorporating a 'for-profit' entity, is $300. As far as what businesses he can start, the US really does not limit foreigners too much unless the business is somehow sensitive to the private interest, but if someone overseas wants to purchase a food franchise, unless the franchise itself has conditions on local ownership, the person can do so.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is interested in a food franchise or purchasing a gas station.

Then he has to reach out to those specific companies and find their rules on ownership. If he wants to purchase a Subway franchise for example, he has to contact Subway and find out if he can own it as an outsider, or he would need to bring in others who are local US citizens as part owners with him.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would he need a lawyer or is it something he can do himself? Can he get a Tax ID by himself?

He can negotiate with the franchise on his own. But if he becomes close to signing, he should consider retaining a business attorney to review the franchise agreement and point out potential areas of concern.

As far as obtaining a Tax ID, he can do that on his own, but the process can be complicated. However, the IRS does explain it fairly well, and if you go to this link, you can follow the steps on how to apply for an SSN, or an ITIN depending on necessity.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayer-Identification-Numbers-TIN

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** will like to have an idea of how much it cost to retain a business attorney to be able to go through this. My personal email is***@******.***, I will appreciate it if you are able to send me details.

I do apologize but I do not communicate off-site. I can, however, give you an estimate here. A cheap business attorney would likely review the documentation from $1,500 and up. A more experienced attorney would likely charge $4,000 to $6,000, but that would also include business filings and business formation.

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

PS. Kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks,I asked because some lawyers do not like give estimates online. I appreciate your time. Thanks

My pleasure, and I can understand that also. Since projects and time may differ it is not always easy to give a valid estimate. But I tried to limit my answer to the specifics.

Please take care and good luck. Should you need me again, please do not hesitate to request me again, and I promise to respond faster--you caught me when I was on vacation. Otherwise, kindly do not forget to positively rate. Please take care.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.