Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

I am on the board of a NPO. We have a member who is deaf.

Customer Question

I am on the board of a NPO. We have a member who is deaf. When we learned he wanted to join our group we were excited. We welcomed him with open arms as we do anyone who wants to join us. There was an incident involving him and another member. He groped the other members breast. When the board found out about it we talked to everyone who was involved (including people who witnessed it) and all statements were the same. He acted in an inappropriate manner. We also asked that anyone who was involved or witnessed it to not talk about it to people who were not there. We, as a board, made a decision to not allow this member to come back to our group. He is now threatening to have the ADA come after us and force us to allow him back (by the way, he has let it be known since he joined us, before this incident, that he has the ADA on his side.) This decision was based on his actions and not his disability. What recourse does he have against us?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

None, any claim would be without merit based upon the information provided. He could make allegations, but they would be directly rebutted by the actual facts. To prove disability discrimination, one must show that it was discriminated against based upon that disability. There are not facts whatsoever that anyone harbored discriminatory animus towards this person and actions against this person were non-discriminatory legitimate reasons. I view the threat as baseless and no competent attorney or ADA official would take on the matter knowing these facts.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please ask any follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer was in a timely manner.

Thank you.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please ask any follow-up questions.