Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I need a lawyer to look over an apartment contract I was a

Customer Question

I need a lawyer to look over an apartment contract for which I was a co-signer. The original contract was only to last for one year.
Ernest Worthy ***@******.***
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your issue with the lease? Did it have a renewal clause? Please upload the link here or give us a link to it so we can review it and answer your questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Worthy – I just tried to call you. I discussed this matter with my client, who advises me: The Lease Contract Guaranty states that "You agree that your obligations as guarantor will continue and will not be affected by amendments, modifications...unit changes or renewals in the Lease Contract which may be agreed to from time to time between resident(s) and us.Therefore, the guaranty you signed extends beyond the initial lease period to any extensions of the Lease, whether or not you sign off on those extensions.Douglas L. BrooksDouglas L. Brooks, P.C.Post Office Box 8477Atlanta, Georgia###-##-####(###) ###-####
FAX:(###) ###-####
www.douglasbrookslaw.com

Thank you for your reply.

If you want us to review the lease to see if it does say that, you have to upload it to us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of legal contract doesn't have a start and ending date? I have attached the guarantor's agreement.

Thank you for your reply.

A guarantor agreement, which is what you signed, remains in effect as long as the tenant's lease is effective. The agreement actually does tell you that this guarantor agreement continues for as long as the tenant remains as a renter, even if new leases or amended leases are entered into. When parties sign contracts, they are held liable by the court to have read and agreed to the terms they signed. The court has to enforce the contract exactly as written I am afraid, so if you signed that contract, the guarantee lasts for as long as the person is tenant in the property.